How to obtain Permit to enter Arunachal Pradesh in North East India | Indian and Foreign Tourists | Protected Area Permit (PAP) and Inner Line Permit (ILP)

Protected Area Permit for Arunachal Pradesh
If you’re a foreigner or an Indian who is not a resident of Arunachal Pradesh, planning to visit Arunachal Pradesh, one of India’s least visited states, you need a Special Permit to enter the state. Foreigners need to apply for a Protected Area Permit (PAP), while Indian travelers need to apply for an Inner Line Permit (ILP).

For Indian Traveller - Click Here

For foreign travellers, read through.

Why do you need a Special Permit to enter Arunachal Pradesh?

Arunachal Pradesh shares a disputed border with China, which doesn’t officially recognize India’s sovereignty over the area, the Indian government requires all who wish to travel to this area to get a permit before entering the state. You can get the permit in several cities in India including Calcutta, Delhi etc. This article explains how to apply for an Arunachal Pradesh Protected Area Permit in Guwahati, Assam.

Where to apply for a Protected Area Permit in Guwahati?

The best way to obtain a PIP is to visit the Deputy Resident Commissioner Office of Arunachal Pradesh in Guwahati.

The office is located close to the Down Town Hospital in Lakshmi Mandir Path in G.S. Road, opposite to Hotel Shoolin Grand. It is about 25-30 minutes from the train station by bus. The office is open from Monday to Friday, 10:00 – 17:00. Permits can be applied for until 14:00.

What all you need to apply for PAP?

✔️ A copy of your passport
✔️ A copy of your Indian visa and entry stamp
✔️ A filled-in application form (you’ll get it in the office)
✔️ $50 (Rs 3,450 approx) in cash, paid up front

Important things you need to know

◾️ Your intended date of travel
◾️ To which places you wish to go
◾️ PAPs are generally granted to only groups, meaning two people or more.

How long does it take to obtain a PAP and what's the validity?

The processing time for a PAP takes about two to five working days. PAPs are valid for a maximum of 30 days, starting on the entry date you provide on the form. The PAP costs $50 per person, payable in Indian rupees.

Can you apply for an Arunachal Pradesh Protected Area Permit as a solo traveler?

It is possible to apply as a solo traveler in Guwahati, but you'll be able to travel only to Tawang, Bomdila, and the Ziro valley; not any other place.

If you’re a solo traveler and wish to travel to other places, try to find fellow travelers beforehand so you can join their group, even if it’s just for the application process.

For other ways to obtain Inner Line or Protected Area Permits Click Here